Friday 24 August 2007

Round 2 - finds of the week.

My new favourite things (until the Oxfam shop opens again after its refit!)

No. 1 - this beautiful vanity dish was an ebay bargain for just £0.99. I can't believe that no-one else bid for it, its a good size and the embroidered lid is the prettiest thing.


No. 2 - I confess that I bought his as much for me as for Archie. Isn't he adorable, although one leg is already hanging by a thread so another job for the repairs basket, along with my favourite fluffy socks which just have to be saved in time for autumn.

N0. 3 - going through a bit of an Enid Blyton nostalgia trip at the moment and have added this centenary Famous 5 edition to my teeny collection. I love the picture and harbour secret dreams that the boys will one day discover them in the bookcase and be engrossed (although I know they'll probably be glued to the latest techy entertainment device won't they so I'm doing my best to shove things under their noses from an early age!). I couldn't resist the Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady (75p!) which has the loveliest drawings of seasonal plants and flowers. I know a fair few but great to be able to turn to the month and actually name what's growing in the hedgerows as I walk by.



No 4 - shocking picture sorry but I so wanted to share this - the most beautiful, hand-painted enamel brooch that I picked up for just a £1. Mum has something very similar given to her by the wonderful Mrs Hemming who we lived next door to when I was little. She was a true Edwardian and a school teacher spinster so didn't marry until she retired and therefore never had any children. She was like a favoured aunt and a truly elegant lady with an extraordinary past, she'd been a suffragette in her day and even swam The Channel.

I loved her beautiful house, full of pieces of huge oak furniture she'd carved herself. I remember she always wore a house coat and the daintiest, prettiest hair slide in her short, white bob. Her kitchen chairs (which she let us stand on - gulp!) were bought by her father at the Great Exhibition in 1851 and I was amazed by the Houses of Parliament Christmas Cards she received from no less than 3 MPs every year. (I thought she was so very important, rather like the Queen!). A really wonderful lady. Anyway... gosh sorry went right off track there, I coveted that beautiful brooch and am so thrilled to find one of my own. I shall wear it and remember the fascinating Mrs H often.

Looking forward to the Bank Holiday weekend and summer's last hurrah.

Hope the sun shines on everyone.

4 comments:

Vintage to Victorian said...

Hi Steph

What wonderful finds, and your story about Mrs H touched me. A lady who used to live in the nursing home where my great aunt lived was also a suffragette. She was the tiniest person ever - couldn't have been more than about 4ft tall!

The farm trip looks like great fun, and whilst I've seen day-old calves, lambs etc,I don't think I've ever seen a day-old donkey. Are the ears out of all proportion to the body?!!!

Glad you had a lovely time, and that you're enjoying collecting all those trinkets and goodies.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph

Well I enjoyed the story of Mrs H too, even if it was a little off the subject of your post. How lucky to have met a real suffragette even if you were probably a bit young at the time to appreciate what she had done for women.

Thanks for a lovely post. Have a great Bank Holiday and I hope that the sun shines for you.

Marie x

Rowan said...

Some lovely finds here, I've always been a Famous Five fan from being very young and love the Edwardian Lady books too. I really like the brooch and the story that goes with it - Mrs Hemming must have been a fascinating person, the kind I'd love to sit and listen to while she talked about her life.

AC said...

Great bargains and the baby donkey is sooo cute.
Alison x