Wednesday 30 March 2011

Watery World

When I was younger my family used to say that I had webbed feet, and they might have been right. At school we were really lucky to have a pool and, although I wasn't a sporty type, I loved to swim. I even joined the synchronised swimming team (we were rubbish but it was brillliant fun) and sometimes swam three times a day around competitions.

Oh but that was a lifetime ago and I haven't swum properly for years. We take the boys most weekends but ducking and splashing just isn't going to shift the mummy spare tyre I'm carrying around with me. And approaching my late 30s I've finally realised that cutting back on the biscuits isn't going to do it either and so for the past few weeks I've been getting the webbed feet out again.
Now the boys are getting a little older its much easier than I thought to find the time for a swim. Off I trot with my pretty bag and jolly towel on Mondays for the late swim (9pm!) but I'm back home on the sofa by 10.15pm with 50 lengths under my belt. On Wednesdays after poottling around town doing the food shop, I meet my lovely friend Phillipa in the pool and we get chance for coffee and chat after 40 or so lengths.
And then I round off the week on Friday evenings with a swim on my way home from work (hopefully for another 50 but maybe 40 depending how tired I am). Most surprisingly though, I'm really enjoying it; me who hasn't exercised seriously for years (and I've never been in a gym!) and didn't believe I could get a buzz from it either.

Well I still don't to be honest but I do feel pleased and a little bit proud of myself for getting off my increasingly large behind and doing something about it. I've been going for 6 weeks now and things are definitely less wobbly, flabby and flappy, if not much smaller yet. I'm working hard on it and definitely getting faster (40 lengths in 30 minutes today) so soon I think I'll try and step things up a little. Blimey - that's me talking, doesn't sound like it!
And it does make me feel better, I had a headache and achey neck this morning but it had all disappearred after my swim. So, like looks this could be the way to a new me, smelling of chlorine but a tiny bit fitter and with very curly hair (no time for all that straightening now). Roll on our Cornwall holiday. I'm determined to wear shorts at least once without dying of shame and summer vests without cringing at my flabby arms. Wish me luck - lots of lengths to go.

29 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

Hey girl, you are doing it right with that gorgeous bag and towel!! Might as well make exercise stylish! :-)

charl said...

wow how fab is that.. you will defo get toned up after all the lengths you are doing .. keep up the good work!!
i cant swim a width. im hopeless the hubby can swim like a fish but i just lie at the side of the pool with a large vodka and tonic thats my contribution!!.

driftwood said...

very impressed! I used to swim once a week before we moved, and although I never looked forward to it I always felt better afterwards. should take it up again.....

Jenny at Red House said...

well done you! I must admit swimming in the pool with the sun shining in is my favourite excercise, I think I need to upgrade my towel though!! jennyx

bibbitybob said...

Well done you, that's brilliant! That cheery towel and bag must certainly help too :)

My Mum has dropped from a size 16 to a 10 doing a combination of Slimming World and swimming, it's a fab all over body workout. I started to find it GAVE me neck and head ache, but your post has inspired me to give it a go again soon! x

Pink Milk said...

Pardon? 40 lengths in 30 minutes - or was it the other way round? Either way, that is incredibly impressive! Go girl!

Hx

PS. My word verification word is so long, I bet you could swim 2 lengths in the time it takes me to type it! ...

Rubyred said...

Well done you!40 lengths is brilliant! I used to go to the gym(only a gentle workout) and then swimming after with a friend and since I have stopped going I definitely feel, well a bit flabby! Now we've had some lovely sunshine I feel I should've done something a bit sooner!I don't want to get my wobbly bits out, so to speak!
Rachel x

Rubyred said...

Oh my word, the word verification was belly!! Do you think they can see me!!
I'll suck it in!
Rachel x

home made gorgeous said...

Wow, this is very inspiring, good for you! It's amazing how a bit of exercise can transform how you feel isn't it... I have started jogging once around the park once a week, not as good as yours I know, but even that makes me feel a whole lot better. I really love your bag!! Sarah x

Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose we all remember exercising when spring arrives, this is why I've started weight lifting for those awful arms of mine!
You're lucky though, since swimming is one of the best not to say one of the most enjoyable activities!
So, hope you'll feel better the sooner!
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot!
Great outfit!

Please may I? said...

Well done you. I'm hoping to begin swimming with my daughter this week.

X x

bootextiles said...

What an inspiring post. I occasionally dabble in swimming but can never get into a good routine. The sofa is just tooo comfy after a long day at work. I really need to try again and the possibiity of wearing pretty sleeveless summer dresses is probably the only thing that will motivate me too. So good luck and keep us posted with how you get on.

Emma Bradshaw said...

Oh thats so fab Steph, I just can't seem to motivate myself at all at the moment, but I really need to follow your lead and shift my spare tyre!
Emma x

Madelief said...

Way to go Stephie!!!

Lieve groet & happy evening,

Madelief

Rebecca said...

Well done you! Swimming is so much fun, it is one of the few ways of keeping fit that I actually enjoy! It really gets you fit too as swimming is tough work!
Our holiday cottage in Dorset had a private pool and I was in it at least 3 times a day, I wish I had one at home! x

Barri-Jayne said...

Aw, well done!!! You've done amazingly well and I'm sure when you get those holiday shorts on you're going to look fab!

x

Garden Girl said...

ooh, you are a good girl! and who needs hair straightening, curls are far more individual I reckon. I hate swimming, am scared witless of the water, but maybe one day it will go on the wish list of Things To Learn. Love your pretty outfit (as always!)
I am aiming for my first summer in shorts since I was aged ten this year too! x

Beverley said...

well done! a very inspiring post, and love the bag and towel, might as well be stylish whilst keeping fit :)

...Nina Nixon... said...

I like the curly hair - then again I am biased.

My goal is 'at least' a stone by the time I hit 40 - so a year! Just need to get off my fat behind now.

Total inspiration Steph.

N xxx

Streetcomber said...

As I see it, the only way to exercise successfully is to do as you have done and make a regular slot, and then stick to it, come-what-may. I've been going to my step class in a local village hall once a week for 10 years, since my youngest son was two. It's not really enough to make a big difference, but at least I know if I do that, and nothing else, it's got to be better than nothing!

Unknown said...

ooh you are an inspiration - am feeling that I would love to go swimming now! Have just bought a secondhand bike with a basket on the front so want to do a bit of cycling as well. Am nearly 50 so very much need to do something...

sarah-jane down the lane said...

Oh Steph good for you!
I am walking every weekend, 13 miles on Sunday, in training for the Moonwalk which I am dreading, little and often they say!!!

I am sure you will be fab in shorts this summer,

Sarah x

Anja said...

Good luck! You're so cool!

ivana said...

You seem well equipped: lovely bath towels, bag... all the things that inspire to go for the goal. Hope you'll show us stunning summer photos;)

Anonymous said...

Well done, you! You're my hero!
Pam (who swims like a brick)

The Fairy Glade said...

HI Steph and good for you for taking the plunge...pardon the pun! I have access to a friends pool in the summertime but am a bit too conscious to go to the local one, so roll on the summer! Dev x

Marylène Lenoir said...

I'm also swimming once a week since 6 years, but only 30 lengths in 30 minutes : congratulations ! Swimming is my best way to feel better ( with walking ). I'm sure that you will be nice with shorts this summer.
Wish you good luck !

melanie said...

Gorgeous bag and towel :) xxx